Sunday, August 22, 2010

From the girl who never liked tomatoes...

Dennis and I just spent the evening making spaghetti sauce :)  We had oodles of cherry tomatoes from our veggie garden, and since neither of us likes them, we decided to make sauce.  I found a recipe online that used the cherry tomatoes, so i kind of followed that (as much as I follow recipes!!).  Pretty much it was a pepper, onion, tomatoes, olive oil, veggie stock, tomato paste and herbs.

Dennis wanted me to have him help so that we could do it together.  Unfortunately with bed times, he was stuck upstairs while i did all the prep (chopping the pepper and onion, quartering the tomatoes).  When he got down, we started to cook.  Now, everything was going great...smell, taste...but texture was another thing.  because the skins were still on, they didn't break down.  we decided that it was fine, even though I knew that I would be picking them out of my sauce when the time came to eat.

We were going to can the sauce, but my pot wasn't tall enough, so i have to wait till tomorrow when I can borrow someones.  But, as I was putting the sauce in a bowl for the fridge, I thought about a gift that I got from Mom and Dad.  A gift that I don't use all the time, but when i use it, I ask myself how people live without it.  My light bulb went off, and i went to my closet and took our my Cuisinart Food Processor.  I put some sauce in, and turned it on.  VOILA...perfect, beautiful, smooth spaghetti sauce!!!!

If I had it in me, I would take a picture...but unfortunately I have to go clean my kitchen!  Tomorrow I will can three large jars of my sauce.  Next week I will make another batch.  Next Friday, I will have another project. Three Cheese Ravioli...from scratch!

3 comments:

Aarika said...

Inspiring!!! Thank you for sharing your kitchen adventures. You show us all Becky that it can be done. With work, family, friends, a home, a garden etc. It is all about finding a happy and healthy balance. Right? Try something you've never done before YES even with 3 toddler boys~you rock! <3 PS if you get sick of pasta I have a little book of 50 things to do with a jar of sauce ;)

Unknown said...

You have a cuisinart food processor? Color me JEALOUS.

So proud of your saucing escapades!

Becky said...

Thanks Aarika! There are days that I go crazy, but it is all worth it in the end! Melissa, Mom and Dad got it for me as a birthday present when I was making baby food. I absolutely love it! It is one of the best things that I have in my kitchen!